Monday 15 October 2012

pasta primavera



I found these pretty pasta swirls in Tuscany and have been saving them for something special.  I wanted to make something tasty yet still maintain their beauty...this is what came to mind.  A refreshing pasta primavera served cool with my take on a Spanish Caprese salad.

I love this meal for its simplicity and fresh flavours.

The original idea uses fresh basil however when I came to making it, I realised I didn't have any, and had no choice but to go with what I had - fresh coriander.  I loved this change and it has now become my recommended version.




This dish works best using sweet vine ripened tomatoes.













































Pasta Primavera
Serves 4

You'll need:
  • 400g pasta shapes (you can use whatever shapes you like, fusilli, shells, tubes)
  • vine ripened tomatoes (about 12-14 depending on how much sauce you prefer) 
  • 1 clove of garlic, grated
  • 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped  (you can use basil if you prefer)
  • grated Parmesan
  • 2 Tbs olive oil, good quality
  • salt & pepper to taste
Method:

1) Bring the pasta to boil in a pan and cook until al dente, remove and rinse with cool water.
2) In a separate bowl, finely chop the tomatoes making sure to pour all the tomato juices in the bowl.  Add the grated garlic and chopped coriander, mix and leave till all the juices are mixed.
3)  When the pasta is ready add the pasta to the tomatoes and mix with a good swig of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and grate fresh Parmesan over and serve

~ ~ ~

I love serving this pasta with a Spanish inspired tomato salad.   I know what you thinking, a slight case of tomato overload but trust me these two dishes work very well together with the flavours all marrying up deliciously.

Now I can't take all the credit for this salad.  It's an adaption of a Jamie Oliver creation.























You'll need:

  • 10 ripe vine ripened tomatoes
  • half a length of chorizo
  • 1 mozzarella ball
  • small bunch of parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:

1) Slice the chorizo and fry gently in a pan until it starts to crisp.
2) Roughly chop the tomatoes.  I like it quite chunky not too refined.  Add the sliced mozzarella.
3) Add the chorizo and pour the oil from the pan over the salad.  Add the chopped mozzarella.
4)  Pour over the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment