I truly love it, but the real secret is the tender fall-off-the-bone meat which is cooked slowly in a rich tomato sauce.
Also known as Youvetsi, it's a typical Greek dish made traditionally by baking rice pasta. This version is a simple rendition which my aunt introduced me to using Penne pasta, transforming it into a very tasty pasta dish.
- 8 or 10 lamb chops (or stewing lamb on bone)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g Penne pasta
1) Gently fry the chopped onion in the olive oil
2) Add the meat and brown
3) Add the tinned tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and bay leaves, simmer on low heat for approx 2 hours, adding boiling water to ensure it does not dry out. Meat should be tender and falling off the bone.
4) In a separate pan, boil the pasta
5) Mix all together and serve immediately.