These pretty pink swirl meringues are adapted from my aunt's famous pavlova recipe. Much simpler than they look, these little puppies only take 15 minutes to prepare, but need over an hour in the oven. A simple dessert definitely on the labour side of things and wholly satisfying on the eating front...
If I was entertaining at home I would attempt to create a pudding pyramid by building them up like bricks layered with cream and fruit. On this occasion however I took them round to friends for a semi spring picnic!
Makes 12 meringues
You will need:
- 5 large egg whites
- 230g caster sugar
- 4 heaped teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- red food colouring
- 1 tub of fresh double cream
- 1 tsp rosewater
1) Beat the egg whites till very stiff (if you were to turn the bowl upside down they should not move).
2) Add the caster sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
3) Add the vinegar and vanilla essence.
4) Spoon mixture onto a grease paper lined baking tray, and using a toothpick or teaspoon, swirl in the red food colouring.
5) Bake at 140 degrees for 1 1/4 hours. When complete turn the oven off but leave the meringues in the oven to dry out as the oven cools.
Beat the cream with a teaspoon of rosewater and serve with fresh strawberries and blueberries!